Yield: 1 Quart, Serves 4-6
- 1 pound Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 med. Yellow Onion, diced small
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Qt. Chicken Stock
- 1 (14 oz) can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 TBSP Tomato Paste
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Bunch of Kale, destemmed and torn into bite size pieces
- 10 oz of fresh Tortellini
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- For Serving: grated Parmesan Cheese and Red Pepper Flakes
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the sausage, onions, and garlic and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until it is browned and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Drain off any excessive fat.
- Whisk in the chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste until fully incorporated
- Bring to a boil and add the salt, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kale, tortellini, and cream. Cook until the kale is wilted and the pasta is tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle with Parmesan and red pepper flakes, if desired, before serving.
- Serve with Rustic Bakery Flatbread crackers or bagutte